Sunday, February 22, 2009

Flickr Progress


DM&E 3833 in New Ulm
Originally uploaded by look4trains

I continue to add a few photos to my Flickr photostream on a not-quite-daily basis, including this DME shot from about a year ago.

One of the things that is slowing me down a little is the fact that in most cases, I am reprocessing the images before I post them. With the acquisition of a new camera recently, I decided I should take a look at my photo processing workflow. I have been shooting RAW + jpeg with the camera, and I thought I should try processing some RAW files. The converter that came with the camera sucked, to put it bluntly. I started snooping around on the net and found that Photoshop Elements v. 7 would probably open the Pentax PEF files that my camera produced, so I downloaded it to try it out. So far, I am very happy with the images I am getting out of the software. The RAW files open just fine, and my only gripe is that it seems to take a lot of computer horsepower. I guess that is to be expected given the output files from a 10 mp camera.

I will probably buy this program and start using it as my primary editing tool. Another benefit of using PSE 7 is that the exif data stays with the edited shot, as you can see on most of the recently-uploaded photos on my photostream. I like that it is there, along with the fact that it saves having to correct the date taken for every photo uploaded.

I still have about a year's worth of shots to add, and I plan on continuing to add a few at a time until I am caught up.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment