Friday, May 29, 2009

And Now for Something Different

A steady diet of orange GE's has me on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary, and Thursday evening Mrs. L4T and myself found just such a thing.


This ex-Santa Fe Geep is a rare GP40X carbody. When I pulled up to the train in Staples, I thought I had found an SD45 running around, but the length and the trucks soon gave it away. It was the third unit on this train, behind a Dash 9 and another EMD geep (this one cascade green) of some vintage. I'm not that accomplished at telling them apart.

According to this site, only 23 of these were ever built, with Santa Fe having the largest fleet of 10. It was a precursor to the GP50.

A nice change from the steady procession of orange GE's that now dominate the Staples Sub. I've got a few of those shots to post but I decided this one deserved it's own post, since it is kind of a loner in the BNSF fleet. Traffic was slow Thursday evening due to a rock train working in the Lincoln area. After he cleared up, a fleet of eastbounds was all the traffic in the area.

When you look for trains, you never know what you might find.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment