Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Look Back at 2011

It's becoming a tradition to do a railfan retrospective around New Year's. I like it because you are forced to think back on the year's adventures, and even with the occasional Mullering, by and large this is a great hobby that we share with great people.

So what sticks out for me when I look back on this year? One of the most amazing experiences happened on New Year's Day, when I was lucky enough to witness a monster Amtrak train passing the through the area. What a way to start the year!

Any time spent with fellow railfans is great. This was one of those times. My fingers still get numb remembering it.

Luckily, it was warmer on the day Chris introduced me to the wonder that is Ebro.

"Talk Like a Pirate" Day-what could that have to do with railfanning? Quite a bit, as it turned out.

Sometimes, you don't have to go far to be entertained by the railroad.

Lots of folks seem to remember encounters with blue and yellow locomotives. I had a few myself, and they were memorable. This one, in May, comes to mind, along with this one, the end of June. I was lucky enough to get a sniff of blue and gold out west as well, in the fall.

I spent a lot more time (and money!) on modeling this year, and it provided some good memories as well.

Verndale Rail was once again the high point of the year, as I've come to expect. You that didn't make it this year, be there next year! Should be bigger and better than ever, and with a little luck we might even get a train running into the sun.

I've made some great friends and look forward to making more in the future. Anytime you find a bunch of people who will tolerate a Pentax shooter you can bet you've fallen in with a quality group. So thanks, and I look forward to hearing "Hot Rail" or "IT'S THE YELLOW ONE" hollered out again soon.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment