Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A (Partial) Cure for Homesickness

Let me set the scene. It's a lonely evening in Superior. As I sat here missing Mrs. L4T, it seemed like an opportune time to head out and try and take a train picture. I headed down Belknap, hoping to shoot the BNSF 1111 which I had seen earlier from the overpass. Sadly it was gone, and even more sadly I had no idea where I was going and immediately realized I was on the way to Minnesota with no way to get off the road.

Turned out to be a good thing, as a CN train had just reached the dock. I was trying to figure out a way to get a shot of the engines as they ran around the train. By the time I figured out how to get where I wanted to be it was too late. Option B seemed to involve trying a shot from the parking lot of the new school. I got a string of loads ready for the ore dock, part of the MERC coal pile, and some Enbridge tanks all in the same shot.
And then the engines backed down onto the train, offering the chance at another shot. The three leaders were all 6000 series EMD's, which is where the cure for homesickness comes in. Seeing those engines brought back some real old memories.
Here's one of those memories. I don't have the exact date but this one goes back to my Ranier days, at least 9 years ago and probably at least 10. I remember lots of the snoots coming through town when I lived up there.
It's kind of like they showed up in town to remind of old times. Thanks, CN.

No comments:

Post a Comment