Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Railfan Gods Giveth, and they Taketh Away

Today was one of those days when the railfan gods had to be sitting in their warm caboose (or wherever it is they plot against us mere mortals) laughing so hard they could barely stay in their chairs.

I knew early this morning that one of the Norfolk Southern heritage units would be passing through the area during the day. With no chance to slip away from work and try a shot, I resigned myself to being the last remaining fan in a four state area to not have one of the NS's tributes to its predecessor roads grace my viewfinder. Still, a sense of curiosity drove yours truly to check the status of the lime green engine sometime after lunch. That's just about the time the BNSF decided to send the train that this engine was part of to Superior rather than on to Grand Forks.

With that bit of news, a detour seemed called for when I left work about 4 PM. I was crossing the 21st St overpass when I first glimpsed the engine, sitting facing a public road (and what was passing for the sun) near the engine facility. When I arrived a fuel truck was topping the tanks off, but after waiting a while the truck left and the wait for sun continued. I occupied myself with a couple of shots that included other power at shop:



Finally I was able to get the featured guest in decent light. It was a bit of a wait, and COLD. 


I wasn't alone in my quest. Max, Kevin, and the Rengo boys were also out sightseeing and speculating on how a cloud can travel in perfect synchronization with the sun. I tell you, the cloud that was just covering the sun never wavered for more than a few seconds the entire time I stood there.



Still, it was fun to see and more fun to discuss. Being an old timer, I gave up before the younger guys did, so they will likely have more interesting (and controversial?) shots to share.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, awesome pics, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They argued about traveling by train versus traveling by plane.
    cheap nfl nike jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this piece of writing is good, my sister is analyzing such things, thus I am going to let know her.

    - wrecked car | sell my junk car | sell junk car for cash

    ReplyDelete