Monday, December 28, 2020

It's Winter

It's that time of year when accumulated vacation gets used up, which explains how I wound up at Proctor this morning waiting for a transfer from Pokegema to arrive. 

It was cold. Not below zero cold, but for this winter one of the colder mornings. Which led to the hope that the sun would shine, but the lake did its normal job of creating a cloud bank that just let the sun tease a body with occasional slivers of light. 


Luckily the CN entertained me with a pair of DMIR units on the Proctor switch job. Sounded nice while they were jockeying cars back and forth. 


Clear skies to the north and west taunted me as I waited, but being the stubborn person that I am, I wouldn't budge from my position on the overpass. Eventually the transfer showed up.


As he approached, I notice something unusual about the power. Was that a cowl unit in the consist? Sure enough it was. My calculating mind led me to conclude that if I would just wait at the south end of the yard, I could get the Draper "leading" when they ran around the train. Since warming up sounded good anyway, I jumped in and drove down to the crossing after a stop at Kwik Trip. I had to wait for a limestone empty to head down the hill but I finally got the shot I was waiting for. It's not much but I don't get too many chances at these so I take what I can get. 


I thought about running down to get the limestone empty at 27th. There was something coming off the DWP, headed down to Steelton, and a southbound approaching Coons. So many choices! In the hopes of a pellet load I opted to stay at Proctor. Given that there was a loaded train sitting in the yard I should have known better. My hopes were dashed when I saw the southbound Instead of 140 cars of taconite, I got a couple of empty gons and a pair of bentonite cars. As you can see in the photo, the clouds were still taunting me with sunshine just north of Proctor. It's enough to make a person grind his teeth. 


By now, the wind was blowing, I was cold, and it seemed like a good time to head for home, so the next move was back to Duluth. I processed pictures and thawed out for a while, then settled in to enjoy some vacation time. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment