Sunday, September 6, 2009

Fallen Flag Extravaganza

The past week found me in Two Harbors for a couple of nights. I occasionally get a chance to find my way into an unusual location, and this week was one of those times. During the day on Wednesday, I had occasion to visit the ore dock area in Two Harbors. I was lucky enough to find DMIR 211, which has to be one of the last remaining SD38's in maroon, busy shoving cars up onto the dock to be dumped. I took advantage by grabbing a photo out the window of the truck.


I didn't want to make a pest of myself by prowling the area for a better angle or location, so what you see is what I got. It was fun to see a maroon unit at work. There were a few other units sitting in the yard, but since they were all repainted tunnel motors or IC units, I didn't try any shots of them. It's good to see activity in Two Harbors. The locals told me they have never seen the stockpile area as bare as it was a few weeks ago.

I left for home Wednesday afternoon, with hopes of catching a coal empty to chase across the Brainerd Sub, but no luck. There was track work going on near McGregor which may account for the lack of trains. My luck turned in a hurry, though, as I drove into Brainerd and saw a headlight near the former NP shops. A quick right turn got me in position to catch the Brainerd local doing his street running up to the paper mill, a first for me. I was surprised that they move right along in the street, and no one seems to be the least bit affected. Cars get out of the way and continue down the street. I got a few shots as he approached, and this is likely the best in some tough lighting conditions.


Shot the GP pair, in Cascade Green and Bluebonnet, as they passed the cemetary as well. It seemed appropriate for the paint schemes.


So I saw three locos moving between Two Harbors and Staples, one maroon, one cascade green, and one in the Santa Fe blue and yellow. Quite a day in this age when we lament the "sameness" of things. The street running was frosting on the cake-another throwback to an earlier age of railroading. A great day to remember.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment