Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 2 along the River Sub

After finishing work on Tuesday, I decided to head straight down to the Lake City/Maple Springs area. Unlike the gorgeous skies that had been present on Monday, tonight I could see that I would be fighting clouds and storms. While that might have deterred me around home, I decided to press on since my fanning opportunties in this part of the state are limited.

I staked out one of the curves at Maple Springs and finally got an eastbound CP manifest in my viewfinder. As you can see, the skies were a little threatening.


I decided to chase him south a ways to see if another shot could be had. I made it to the overpass in Wabasha and shot him there, in poor light. I decided to meander towards Red Wing and see what I could see.

I passed a train on my way up, and set up at the same corner as the night before. This is the best of that motley bunch. The shots I got closer to the crossing had focus issues, which I think may have been due to the headlights. It's a problem that plagues me periodically, both with my new camera and old camera. I need to try something different to deal with it rather than just get frustrated.


As soon as he reached the crossing I was off like a shot with the hopes of catching this train passing the depot in better light. I got him past the depot, with this being just a hair later than what I wanted. Red Wing has a gorgeous depot right along the river and I would really like to figure out how to work it into a shot sometime when I am in the area.


Amtrak was a bit late this night so no chance at them. I headed back to the motel to take a look at the day's shots and plot my course for the following evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment