Sunday, June 14, 2009

Three from the 13th

It's been a busy weekend. Today we celebrated the birthday of the heir to the L4T empire and Saturday was filled with chores around the house. The only railfanning I managed to fit in had to come early Saturday, between about 6:30 and 9:30 AM.

The BNSF wasn't overly cooperative, but I got a couple of shots I enjoyed. I started out by heading west until I met a train, which was all the way to Ottertail CR 75, about a mile and a half outside Wadena. I immediately turned around and gave chase, shooting him passing the Wadena depot, passing through Vernadale, and passing a loaded coal train sitting in the Staples yard. I wasn't real happy with any of these.

Another eastbound was right on his heels, and I decided to run a bit further east and try some new shots. I ended up between Cushing and Randall, where I barely caught the first train as he travelled down the Staples Sub. This was actually shot out the passenger window as I didn't have time to dismount before he arrived.


Right behind were coal loads with (you guessed it) another MAC up front. This is from the exact same location, but the angle is a little different. I think this is my favorite shot of the day. With some experimentation this area should offer some nice photo ops in the future.


I decided to work my way back to Wadena, and paralleled the tracks as much as possible through the Philbrook area. The only train I saw was a vehicle train that caught me by surprise. I really need to address the scanner situation as there is either a radio or antenna problem that is screwing up reception and making chasing tougher.

When I made it to Staples I found a wireless signal, fired up my laptop, and saw on ATCS that an eastbound was just passing through Wadena. I headed west and made it past Aldrich before I spotted him. A quick u-turn and dash through the ditch yielded this shot:


I made it home with no further action. That was the end of my fanning for the weekend. I am looking forward to the Verndale get together this coming Saturday and hope that some of you are able to attend.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment