Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Flirting with the Sun

Since she arrived home to a house with no supper prepared (I neglected my once a month duty to fix something when she is away from home), Mrs. L4T agreed to fast food tonight. After a stop at McDonalds drive thru, we staked out the tracks at Wadena in wait for a manifest I had heard was setting out a few cars in Staples before continuing west.

We just finished our sandwiches when a headlight popped up to the east, and since the overcast was still pretty thick in Wadena, I opted to head west in hopes of finding a flash of sun. The clouds broke up enough to allow a shot at the CR 143 curve west of Bluffton.


I decided to chase him a bit further west to see if I could get another shot since the Staples Sub ATCS looked dead. I intended to try the curve at Perham but made a last second decision to shoot him against the oak woods a couple of miles east of there.


I liked this location, and remember sitting here for a couple of hours one night in the hopes that a train would pass by. Not so long ago I had no scanner or ATCS and there was a lot more mystery to railfanning. Sometimes I miss those innocent days.

After we got home, a glance at the computer told me that a train was coming off the Brainerd Sub. I deicded to listen and see what the power was when he cleared up his Brainerd Sub warrant. Turns out it was a 9200 series ACe so I informed the Mrs. I was headed uptown for a try at that train as well.

The clouds were just as thick near Wadena as they had been earlier, with rare peeks of sun. I hoped to get one to light the nose of the oncoming empty coal train but no such luck. I had to shoot him anyway, though, when I saw 5 big EMD's on the head end.


I darn near packed up and left immediately, but decided to wait for some reason. Sure enough, even with all the head end power, there was a working DPU on the back of the train-another ACe. Seems like they are becoming a bit more common again.


That's it for tonights entry-trains were a bit scarce, but still worth looking for.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment