Monday, March 21, 2011

The Hazards of an Airbrush

Airbrush + compressor + paint. What could possibly go wrong? A couple of things, as it turns out.

The main thing is know when to say when. As you'll see in the photos, airbrushing is so much fun that I tend to keep doing it long after I should have stopped. Consequently, I am now the proud owner of a couple of very weathered BN bethgons. You can see how much I put on when you compare them to the unweathered car in the middle.


On the plus side, the airbrush did exactly what it was told to do. That's a good thing, since that should make the next step easier-control myself.

If you are going to weather cars, do yourself a favor. Go stand along the tracks and take a close look at what prototype equipment actually looks like. It's nowhere near as filthy as what I tend to imagine. There's less rust, too, although that's not a big factor with these aluminum cars.

Another tip-weather with the trucks and wheels mounted on the car, or at least use the same process to weather them as you do the carbody. If you don't you'll likely end up with something like the closest car in the photo above-the trucks and wheels are grossly different than the car itself.

I tried one other trick as well-simulate the repair of a few of the panels on one of the cars, which is something that you occasionally see when you are out along the tracks. Again, not perfect, but hey, you never learn if you don't make a few mistakes, right?


Anyway, that's my first attempt at weathering coal gons, and I expect to get better at it with practice. After all, there are still 40 or 45 to go.

I gotta say, it's fun! If you haven't tried weathering, get after it. You can't do any worse than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment