Saturday, November 7, 2020

A Dandy Lashup

 With the year end creeping up on us and vacation needing to be used before that date, I burned a day Friday. That allowed me to venture out into CN territory in the morning. I looked at ATCS before leaving the house and saw a southbound lined from Simar to Steelton. I made the dangerous assumption that he would get a light all the way to Pokegama and headed for the Wisconsin side of the Oliver bridge in the hopes of getting a drone shot of the train creeping across the river. 

No such luck, as he stopped in Steelton, and I ran out of patience waiting. ATCS looked like the main was tied up by a switch job at Pokegama. I made a swing through Superior and saw nothing much of interest, but there was another southbound waiting at Simar so I galloped up Highway 2 just to find myself once more waiting for a train to move. Since that one had his headlight on, I figured he would be moving as soon as a northbound coming up the hill cleared Nopeming. I had a little longer to wait, though, as the northbound was through Munger before the soutbound started to roll. I figured I would shoot him at Maple Grove Road since it would allow me a quicker getaway than waiting for the whole train to pass. Here's what I got:


As the train rolled by me I noticed the consist was interesting enough to warrant a second look. Draper bodies are getting rare and deserve a bit of extra effort, so I tried to think of where I could get a good broadside to capture the whole mess of power and settled on Steelton Hill. Off I went, and after a short wait he rolled down the hill and into view. The train, along with a late season fisherman, passed me at the same time.

That's a nice change from the steady diet of late model GE's that are usual on these CN trains. 

And that was it for my Friday adventure. I headed home and went to work (yes, on my vacation day!) for a couple of hours. But any day I get to take a train picture I will count as a win!




No comments:

Post a Comment