Thursday, November 26, 2020

Under the Overcast

 Unlike vampires, railroad photographers love sunlight. I'm no exception to this axion, probably worse than most, to the point that Mrs. L4T often scolds me for complaining that "the light isn't right for a picture here". 

So it's probably obvious that heavy overcast makes it harder for me to motivate myself to head out trackside. But the clouds do have the advantage of allowing you to shoot in just about any direction without worrying about backlighting. In fact, if you can't see shadows, it hardly matter which way you point the camera. 

All this is a long introduction into my train chasing trip yesterday morning. I didn't leap out of bed and hit the road, but after a couple of leisurely cups of coffee and contemplation of what to do with a day of vacation, a glance at the monitor told me that CN was calling with a northbound heading up the hill and something else coming south. After bundling up and grabbing the appropriate gear I headed west. The next check of ATCS showed the southbound lined to hold the main at Coons far a meet with the northbound coming up the hill. It wasn't long after settling in at Munger that the northbound came at me, working hard on the front of a long vehicle train.


An EMD up front is always a treat, and that BC Rail unit behind was a nice change of pace too. 

Although the plan had been to shoot the northbound, the southbound, then head for home, no one told the RTC about my plan. They had a northbound lined out of Proctor right behind the vehicle train, so it wasn't but a few minutes before this empty pellet train with solid EMD power passed by, gaining on  the vehicle train. 


Someday I will get an over-under at Munger. Yesterday was not that day. But being pretty confident that the next train is coming from the north, let's chase this guy and get another shot. Off Highway 2:



And finally it was time for the southbound. Leaving the house I had high hopes for a loaded pellet train, but instead I got limestone empties with a GE in charge. Canosia Road:


All in all, not a bad hour and a half door to door. And the solid overcast I discussed at the start of this post allowed me to get trains travelling both directions on this section of track without worrying about backlight. Maybe Mrs. L4T has a point. (But don't tell her.)


No comments:

Post a Comment