Friday, November 27, 2020

Green Hornet Redux

(Definition of redux-brought back)

Once upon a time, there was a railroad from Bemidji to International Falls called the Minnesota and International. Aftere being absorbed by the NP, it eventually ended up as a Burlington Northern branch, before being abandoned some time in, I'm guessing here, the 1980's? It handled traffic to and from International Falls and other points along the line. To the best of my knowledge, BN obtained trackage rights over the DWP from Duluth to International Falls when this line was abandoned. While I lived in the Falls, BN would run a train that was nicknamed the "Green Hornet" which interchanged with the Minnesota, Dakota, and Western at Ranier. The only customer in the Falls besides the paper mill was Ferrell Gas. Boise Cascade at that time was shipping a fair amount of their traffic via intermodal so in turn that was much of what the Green Hornet carried. Of course tank cars and covered hoppers of various chemicals and Box Cars were also common. Yes, I should have taken more pictures back in those days. 

Fast forward a few years and BN(SF) must have passed that business on to the CN. I had moved away from the Falls area and didn't keep track of what was going on up there. However, my move to Duluth has re-kindled my interest in the goings-on north of town, and the trains that replaced the Green Hornet. CN now owns all the former DMIR and DWP trackage and runs trains directionally between the iron range and the Twin Ports. Northbounds use the former DMIR and southbounds generally run on the DWP. The mainline "through" trains from Chicago to Winnipeg and points west come up the hill from Pokegama Yard but these local trains between Ranier and the Ports seem to call Proctor home.

Recently I have been more active chasing trains on the CN. For some reason, I have had pretty good luck catching what I think is the Ranier Local. From what I have gathered, this is the L567 northbound and the L568 southbound. For a while it was running with a pair of former Oakway SD60's:


Just last Sunday I caught a northbound at Coons that I suspect was this train as well. Again, pair of SD60's and a short L567:


It was a race to get that one and I didn't have time to get in proper position for a photo, so this was one of those point and shoot moments. 

I went out again this morning, and almost waited for a southbound at Simar, but decided to try something different. Proctor had already sent one north ahead of me, but ATCS showed another on the way. I headed north even though I knew the shot would likely be backlit, but I was "lucky" in that there was a cloud bank about where Highway 2 turns west. But Bear Trap was my target this morning. so I went straight. I got the drone unpacked and lit up about the time I heard a horn and was hovering when the train rounded the curve.


The combination of a pair of older 6 axle units with the string of MDW boxcars up front were an indication this was, again, the Green Hornet Redux. 

I swung by Proctor on the way home, but with not much happening there I didn't stay long and soon was home trying to extract something usable from the above photo. 

And that's the rest of the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment